Our Approach to Medical Weight Loss
We believe Medical Weight Loss is a Personal
Response to the Epidemic of Obesity
Obesity in the United States continues to affect people of all ages. Even though Colorado is one of the healthiest states per capita, many of us know loved ones who are affected by this condition:
- 20.2% of adults in Colorado are obese (BMI>30)
- 24.1% of adults 45-64 years old in Colorado are obese
- 43.2% of men in Colorado and 28.5% of women in Colorado are overweight with rates of obesity similar among men and women.
- 57.4% of Adults in Colorado are overweight or obese
While many of us feel the effects of obesity, it also presents several unseen health and emotional complications. Thankfully, the gift of medical weight loss holds the power to reduce, even eliminate in some cases, these risks and improve quality of life:
- Acid Reflux: In a 2013 published study, modest weight loss of 10-15 pounds resolved acid reflux in 65% of study participants. (Obesity (Silver Spring). 2013 Feb; 21(2): 10.1002/oby.20279)
- Asthma: weight loss has led to an improvement in asthma, marked by decreased exacerbations and complete resolution in some patients, in some studies. (Eneli IU, Skybo T, Camargo CA Weight loss and asthma: a systematic review Thorax 2008;63:671-676)
- Osteoarthritis: Weight loss can contribute to a 35% increase in function and a 35% decrease in osteoarthritic pain based on two common function and pain scoring systems. (PM R. 2012 May; 4(5 0): S59–S67.)
- Sleep Apnea: A majority of patients in several Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome (OSA) experienced a significant decrease in symptoms and a 20% cure rate. (Douglas C. Cowan and Eric Livingston, “Obstructive Sleep Apnoea Syndrome and Weight Loss: Review,” Sleep Disorders, vol. 2012, Article ID 163296, 11 pages, 2012. doi:10.1155/2012/163296)
- Diabetes & Heart Disease: Modest weight loss (measured as 5-10% body weight) has shown to improve diabetes and significantly decrease heart disease risk. (Diabetes Care. 2011 Jul; 34(7): 1481–1486.)
- Low Testosterone: In the area of men’s health, weight loss improved testosterone levels in men with male obesity-associated low testosterone. (Eur J Endocrinol 168 829-843, doi: 10.1530/EJE-12-0955 First published online 12 March 2013)
While the benefits of weight loss are well-known, the approach and care given towards medical weight loss is in need of a revolution.
What Makes Healthful Life MD Different
Our approach to medical weight loss for both men and women starts by knowing what hasn’t worked for our patients:
- Group Weight Loss
- The ‘Drill Sergeant’ Approach
- Being told what weight you should be at for your height, weight, or age
We believe our patients deserve an individual approach customized to each unique situation. Our customized plans take into account your needs and goals. Every patient is different and we want to create a weight loss plan that reflects your medical history, body composition, nutritional needs, weight loss goals, and many other crucial factors.
You will experience a compassionate, encouraging environment at Healthful Life MD and will feel fully supported on your journey to becoming your best self. We listen as you share your struggles with carrying extra weight, the activities you’d like to return to, and your aspirations for the future. We are your partners on this journey – let’s do this together!
What You Can Expect With Healthful Life MD
We understand the myriad of challenges you may be facing as you lose weight. Our commitment to you is a personalized, one-on-one approach with a comprehensive and compassionate solution.
Most of our patients come to us for one of the following reasons:
- Work stress or increased work travel
- Frequent business meals or on-the-go meals
- Family stressors
- Gaining and losing weight many times
- Have tried the group approach to weight loss and it didn’t work
- Are “done” facing the judgment that often comes with excess weight
You are likely dealing with one or more of the reasons above and we are here to help. Imagine what your life may be like in only a few months with our support, expertise, and encouragement.
With our support, our patients achieve:
- Significant weight loss
- Increased energy levels and a more active lifestyle
- Reduced health problems
- Improved sexual function
- Getting around easier
- Increased ease of movement
Our goal is to help men and women in their 40s, 50s, and beyond live the lifestyles they desire with greater meaning and balance.